How To Connect To Bluehost Ftp Server With Root User And Download Bluehost Website Backup Files
My website is hosted on BlueHost, and i use CloudFlare in front of it as the CDN server. But one day, when i browse my WordPress website admin page, it shows 520 error page. The error messages shows the website server do not response for a long time so that CloudFlare can not retrieve the webpage.
After investigate, i finally find the method to resolve this issue. The reason for this issue is because the web server do not have enough memory or disk space to run a process ( such as website backup process ), so the process runs for a long time. You can follow below steps to fix this error.
- Connect to BlueHost SFTP ( secure ftp ) server with root user.
- Download BlueHost backup files that occupy big disk space to your local machine, then remove it from the web server to free up more disk spaces.
- Ask BlueHost online support to increase memory size for your web server and restart it.
1. Connect To BlueHost FTP Server With Root User.
- Set BlueHost root user’s password if you forget it, you can read article
- Now you can connect to BlueHost SFTP server use FTP client such as FileZilla client.
- Open FileZilla client and click File —> Site Manager… menu item at it top menu bar.
- Add a new FTP server site in left panel, then select SFTP – SSH File Transfer Protocol in right panel Protocol drop down list. Input FTP server ip address and port number, select Normal in Logon Type drop down list. Input root in User input text box and input root user’s password which you just specify in step 3.
- Now click Connect button to connect to SFTP server, click OK button in the follow popup dialog, after that you will see the web server root folder and it’s content listed in FileZilla client.
2. Download BlueHost Backup Files And Remove It From Web Server To Free Up Disk Space.
2.1 Check Web Site Disk Space Usage In BlueHost Server.
- First you should make sure whether your web server disk space is full or not follow below steps.
- Login to your BlueHost manager website.
- Then click hosting —> performance —> disk management menu item, now you can see the disk space usage in right panel. If the disk space usage is bigger than 80%, then it need to clean up.
2.2 Download BlueHost WebSite Backup Files.
- First connect to your BlueHost web server use FTP client with root user as above.
- Then go to directory /backup/cpbackup/daily in the server side, your website backup files are all saved in it. If you choose daily backup, then the backup file is saved in /backup/cpbackup/daily folder, if you choose weekly backup, then the backup file is saved in /backup/cpbackup/weekly folder and so on.
- Open a backup file folder, you can find a .gz file in it. This file is just the website backup file, right click the file and click Download menu item to download it to local machine, after download you can right click it and click Delete menu item to remove it from the web server to free up disk space.
3. Ask BlueHost Online Support To Increase Web Server Memory Size.
Web server memory size is very important for web server execution performance. So when your web server do not response for a long time, it is usually because of the memory is not enough, at this time you should ask your BlueHost online support to increase the memory size in a configuration file. This is the easiest way to resolve such issue.